- Current News
- Leonard Frazer
- Community Calendar
Women in Business - Margaret Graine - House of Jasper
Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 00:00 Marie Birkbeck
(With files from Facet Jewelry Magazine and www.etsy.com/shop/HouseofJasper)
One of our local entrepreneurs has gained international recognition for her award winning jewelry design. Margaret Graine, who owns and operates House of Jasper Silver Studio out of her home in McBride, was recently featured in Facet Jewelry Making magazine after her original design won first place in an industry Challenge competition. There were no monetary rewards but Margaret says the recognition she gained is priceless. In 2015 Graine was awarded Honorable Mention for a design she had submitted for the challenge.
Graine grew up in Poland and immigrated to Montreal, Canada as a young woman. She cannot remember a time when she never had a passion for jewelry and design, saying that she had been sketching designs for many years, visiting museums and art shows. A self-taught artist, Graine relied on her collection of magazines to provide her the education and the inspiration to work toward making her dream a reality. In 2000 Margaret began experimenting with various mediums, mostly bead and wires; a few years later she expanded into silversmithing.
A visit to the Rockies in the late 1990s brought Margaret to McBride and she knew that this is where she wanted to be, but it was not until about 10 years ago that she was finally able to purchase her property and convert the ground floor into the studio where she makes all of her pieces.
Margaret’s collection of original designs incorporated a wide variety of stones, silver and alloy components most of which she purchases from suppliers in the USA. She says that the key to her success is to persevere, and not get frustrated; if something does not work out you go back to the drawing board and try it again.
To read the full interview with the magazine, visit http://www.facetjewelry.com/news-and-views/inspiration/2016/09/5-questio...
Margaret’s motto is “If you have a desire to succeed you will” – and we can see that she has lived up to that truism. Congratulations Margaret, and wishing you continued success in years to come
Visit Margaret at her studio in McBride or buy on line from her Etsy shop. https://www.etsy.com/shop/HouseofJasper?ref=search_shop_redirect
House of Jasper
144 Dominion Street
- An invitation for all High School teens to attend Youth Summit on Mental Health
- Basin Business Advisors presents ME INC
- McBride Council Meeting Update
- Robson Valley Regional RCMP report - April 20, 2017 issue
- McBride Elks and Royal Purple enter contest for $100,000 for Bill Clark Memorial Park
- McBride Council busy with budget deliberations
- McBride Court Briefs
- Sentinel Sightseer - April 20, 2017
- Williams resigns from position as CAO
- Hunting licenses now available online
- Tapping nature’s sweet spot of nutrition
- Boil water order issued during BKB Cedar fire, then lifted
- Clean Water and Wastewater Fund invests in McBride
- World & Canada News - April 20, 2017 issue
- When I was a child I thought like a child
- Northern Health launching a new way to register after-hours