Janet Moje
The visitor no one wants

Each year, 50 Canadians die and 132 Canadians are hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning. Will you be one of them? We can protect ourselves by knowing the facts.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can happen in two ways… quick or slow. If there is a large amount of CO in an enclosed space, its effects are fast. But if there is a small amount present, it can affect you slowly over time. It’s not just about dying in your sleep, we need to recognize the symptoms.

Health Canada’s Water and Air Quality Bureau biologist, Francis Lavoie, explains, “Whenever you burn something whether it’s wood, natural gas, oil, paper or propane, there’s CO produced.”

Carbon monoxide is a naturally occurring, short-lived gas that oxidizes into the harmless carbon dioxide (CO2) gas and ozone over the course of 1-2 months. In closed environments however, the concentration can easily rise to lethal levels. Without adequate venting, you breathe it in and it replaces the oxygen in your blood, thus reducing the amount of oxygen reaching your heart, brain and other vital organs.

The visitor no one wants

Symptoms are flu-like (minus a fever) with headaches, shortness of breath, impaired motor functions and muscle weakness being the first signs. If higher levels of CO persist, you will experience dizziness, chest pain, poor vision, and eventually coma and death.

It is called the “Silent Killer” - an odorless, colourless gas slightly denser than oxygen. You can’t see it, you can’t smell it, and aside from a CO detector/alarm, you don’t know if it’s around you. It can enter your home any time of the year, but spikes in winter because we burn more fuels to keep warm. It is important to check and clear all vents from any obstructions before you start burning fuels in your home.

What we can do:

The visitor no one wants
 

Concentration

Source

0.1 ppmv

Natural atmosphere level

0.5–5 ppmv

Average level in homes

5–15 ppmv

Near-properly adjusted gas stoves in homes, modern vehicle exhaust emissions

<1000 ppmv

Car exhaust fumes after passing through catalytic converter

5,000 ppmv

Exhaust from a home wood fire

30,000–100,000 ppmv

Undiluted warm car exhaust without a catalytic converter